Fashion PR Internship & Advice

Saturday, January 26, 2013


I only took one picture because honestly, I was afraid I would get in trouble for taking a picture of anything else!  This was the breathtakingly chic union jack couch in the front room of the downtown LA penthouse.

view more >>


Maybe I lied just a little when I said this blog wasn't going to be about me.  There is one particular topic that I think anyone getting started in the fashion world could relate to, or at least enjoy reading!  Last summer I had the amazing opportunity to move to Los Angeles and work for Chic Little Devil Style House and PR Company, (now that I'm typing this I realize it may seem like I got some ideas from their name for my blog name, but I promise it didn't even cross my mind while I was naming my blog)!  If you haven't heard of them (which I hadn't until I applied for the internship) they are a style house that holds top designers such as Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Chloe, Marchesa, the list could go on and on!  They rent out garments for celebrities, photo shoots, red carpet events etc.  I worked for the PR division of the company and they represented designers such as Aurelio Costarella, Ines Di Santo and Claire Pettibone.  They work with celebrity clients like Miley Cyrus, Betty White, and even Justin Bieber.  They represent the designer of BodyRock Sport who made the famous $20,000 sports bra Britney Spears wore in her Twister Dance Promo Video.  (I touched the actual bra Britney wore and almost died.  Embarrassing?)  Working for a company like this was an absolute dream, but let me tell you, the intern work wasn't.  Though what did I expect?  I have to pay my dues!  I sent out mass emails, created client lists, and did many drop offs and pick ups for stylists.  It was hard work, but will look fantastic on my resume, and I am so thankful for that!  Above is a picture I took of part of the office.

My Advice
1. Use your resources!  I had no help finding this internship.  It was as simple as typing into google what I was looking for.  I found this website from a Yahoo! Answers question.  Someone was looking for the same type of experience as I was, and a man who had worked in the entertainment industry suggested a website where all of the big name companies listed their job and internship opportunities.
2. Be open-minded.  Don't expect to find the EXACT internship you may be picturing in your head.  Peruse through trusted websites and you'll be surprised and what may interest you!
3. When applying, make your resume or application aesthetically appealing.  This is especially important in the fashion industry because it is so much about physical appearance.  All of the internships I found required emailed resumes.  I put my resume in pink!
4.  If you don't have previous experience, play up what you do have.  I had never had a real job before I applied to this internship.  But I was editor of my high school yearbook for two years in a row.  That showed I was organized, creative, and responsible.
5.  Don't give up.  I applied for a few different internships and been rejected before I landed this one.  Just keep at it and never lose hope!  If it was meant to be, it will happen!

Good luck!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate

Subscribe