On Adventure

Tuesday, September 29, 2015




Everyone wants to travel, see the world, experience new things, wanderlust, blah blah blah.  Of course everyone does.  I've pitied myself countless times because I haven't gotten the chance to travel the world yet, poor me.  For a long time, I had this mindset...and recently, I've decided to change that mindset.  I'm tired of being envious of other people's travels and adventures.  It doesn't do any good to dwell on what other people have or do.  Just because someone I know is exploring the world, doesn't automatically mean that my life is lame and terrible.

I've been reminding myself that, "you don't need to travel to find adventure."  A quote I think many people could benefit from.  I have to face the fact that I am not in a part of my life where travel is necessarily possible.  I'm a college student, and my studies are my number one priority.  I'm up to my eyeballs in student debt and therefore don't have the funds to travel when I do have the chance. However, I'm not going to let that stop me from finding adventure in my own backyard.  And I encourage everyone to do the same.

This weekend, my boyfriend and I went on a hike to Devil's Head Lookout, on of the last fire lookouts remaining in Colorado.  I was in awe of the beauty that surrounded me.  From the lookout, I could see Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans, Mt. Bierstadt, Downtown Denver, and all the way to Wyoming.  While the lookout was breathtaking, my favorite part of the day is when we got lost.  We were trying to find our way back to the highway and found ourselves going in the opposite direction from which we came.  We ended up on a back country road in a part of Colorado that I didn't even know existed.  We suddenly found ourselves surrounded by the most beautifully colored aspen trees on virtually untouched land.  It was beauty like I hadn't seen in a long time.

Next time you're pining for adventure, I encourage you to explore your own backyard, whether you live in busy city or a country town, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate

Subscribe